Thursday 29 August 2013

30/08/13 - we have a surgery date

What a week this turned out to be. We went from having no idea when Ellie's surgery would be, to having a possible date, to having a set date, to having the date cancelled, back to maybe having a date, to finally having a date! Are you confused? We sure were!

I got a phone call yesterday from Alison, confirming that Ellie's surgery would be on the 2nd of October. She gave us a date for pre op and we were ready to start making arrangements. I was still calm, I think I just figured it was still weeks away so there would be plenty of time to freak out later. I was quite proud of how I was holding it together actually!

Half an hour later, after I'd let everyone know that needed to know, Alison called back. "Can you forget that we had that conversation?"... The date was cancelled. It turns out there was no room for her procedure on that list, so they needed to move we to a different day. She said she was hoping to get us in on the 25th of September, and she'd call me back the next day. The 25th... That felt too soon. Suddenly I was less calm.

The next day Alison called as promised. She confirmed that yes, Ellie was on the list for the 25th of September. We would need to be there by 9am on the 23rd for pre-op and then she will go in on the afternoon list on Wednesday. 

I called Ronald McDonald House straight away to try and avoid the stress we felt last time when we almost didn't get a room. Luckily this time Lisa was able to put us in the book straight away, so all we'll need to do is call the Friday before we leave to let them know what time we'll be arriving on Sunday. 

I have a good feeling about it this time. Don't get me wrong - I know that the recovery is going to be hell, especially as Doctor Kimble has said it will be worse than last time - but I think this time around we know what to expect and we will be a bit more prepared for how hard it is on all of us. What will be will be I guess! 



No comments:

Post a Comment