Friday 10 May 2013

7/05/13 - Solids!

Even though our paediatrician ad recommended we start solids at our last appointment, I'd been putting it off. I knew it was going to be a tricky job, and I kept finding excuses not to start. But with surgery out of the way and the repair healing nicely, I was time to bite the bullet.

Sophie had hated rice cereal, so I planned to start Ellie straight on vegetables. I puréed up some pumpkin, and got ready for our first ood adventure. I'd read on the Cleftpals Facebook page that cleft-affected children usually prefer their solids a little runnier, but that was all I really knew. So it really would be a learning curve for both of us.

I settled her in the high chair, and she sat there staring at me, as if she was trying to work out what I was about to do with her. She moved the first spoonful around in her mouth for a little bit, and then finally swallowed. I was pleasantly surprised to find that pumpkin wasn't coming out her nose, and she managed three or four spoonfuls before she was sick of it and started crying again.

I was happy that something had gone right for a change! It seemed like I'd been worrying over nothing after all, and I was excited now to introduce her to all the different foods out there!


No comments:

Post a Comment