Monday 10 June 2013

09/06/13 - Solid Success

We took an extended break from solids for awhile, after it was pretty clear that pushing her was doing more harm than good. While we were waiting for the right time to start again I did more research, but there really wasn't anything I didn't know. It seemed we'd just have to give her some time.

A few weeks later I tried again, with something a bit sweeter. I was determined to do it all right this time: homemade food, start with veggies, limit sweet foods, etc etc. I don't know why. I did whatever I wanted with Sophie and she's anything but fussy when it comes to food. I guess a part of me was still doing the mummy guilt thing - I'm responsible for not growing her properly, so I need to make up for that every way I can. It sounds so stupid when I put it in words like that. What's with mummy guilt anyway?

So this week when we started again I changed the rules a bit. Rather than waiting until after a bottle to try solids, I offered it to her before her bottle, so I knew she was hungry. And rather than vegetables I used a sweeter organic cereal mix, something Sophie loved at that age.

It was a mild success. She at least didn't scream as soon as she saw the spoon. Each day got a little bit better, and now she grins and laughs when I put her in her high chair, and she eats enough to not need that bottle. Which was the goal all along. She's even having vegetables again. 

Perseverance. Seems like that's the magic word when it comes to cleft kids. 


No comments:

Post a Comment