Saturday 29 June 2013

24/06/13 - hitting the milestones eventually

Children with a cleft lip and palate are statistically more likely to encounter developmental delays. It's not something I was aware of until recently, I mean, how can the formation of your mouth affect your ability to crawl or walk? It doesn't make much sense, but the proof is out there.

What brought my attention to it was when I realised Ellie wasn't doing the same things Sophie had been doing at the same age. At three months she wasn't rolling or playing with her legs, nd she was only just beginning to discover her hands. 

I didn't want to compare the two girls, especially when I knew that Sophie hit a lot of her milestones early, but I think it's something every mother finds herself doing at some point. I kept a close eye on her and tried to encourage her to engage in play. I knew all I could do at this stage was wait and see.

I don't know if my perseverance paid off or what happened, but at five and a half months old she suddenly woke up one morning with the ability to do all of the things she was meant to do before six months. It was that sudden. She went to bed as a boring newborn, and woke up as a playful, inquisitive baby.

I don't know if she is delayed, she did get them in in the time frame after all. I also don't know if she'll hit the next lot in time or if things will get progressively slower. But what I do know us that I will do everything I can to help her along the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment