Tuesday 22 October 2013

18/10/13 - Incredible Results!

I have to admit, I was feeling pretty down and out last night after Ellie's lung disease diagnosis. Not knowing what the future holds for your baby will do that to you. But this morning, less than 12 hours after her first dose of the flixotide, she sounds amazing! Not perfect, but so much better. It's like yesterday was just a night mare! 

The truth is though, it wasn't a night mare, and we have to live with the consequences. Ellie's new medication is not exactly a breeze to administer, and I already feel terrible about putting her through it twice a day indefinitely. For anyone who has had to give a baby ventolin and/or steroids through a spacer device, you will know what I mean. Ellie screams as soon as she sees the spacer in my hand. I have to physically hold her down, keep her head as still as possible, keep the mask on her face, and push down on the puffer all at the same time. I only have two hands, so inevitably knees end up being used, and elbows. It feels like torture.

It's made slightly worse for Ellie by the fact that she has almost no nose bridge. The mask for the spacer is designed to seal over the bridge of a child's nose, but in Ellie's case  need to push it down much harder to form the seal, which almost flattens her little face. Like I said, torture.

But if it keeps working like it already has I'm not going to doubt it, and I'll keep going through the motions every morning and night if it means keeping my baby girl healthy. I just wish she didn't have to go through it all in the first place! 


No comments:

Post a Comment