Thursday 14 November 2013

14/11/13 - One little hiccup, one massive change to our schedule


We came home from Hobart yesterday. The trip was so uneventful though that it didn't deserve a post of it's own. Soon I think we'll be so used tot he long drive we'll be able to do it in our sleep! 

Once I was home though, I had time to sit down and really think about the after effects of what happened on Monday. Not the health issues, not the scare of nearly losing her again, not even the development delays, but what pushing the repair back means for us as a family. 

Doctor Kimble is planning to reschedule for the second week in January. Which also happens to be Ellie's birthday week, and three weeks after Christmas. We had of course made a millin and one plans for our summer this year, knowing that we would have a decent break between surgeries and I wouldn't be pregnant like last year so I could enjoy the good weather. Now that all changes.

 I somehow have to keep Ellie away from anywhere that she might catch a bug or a virus - not easy with all the different Christmas celebrations. Should we go to the Christmas parade? Carols by candle light? Santa photos? All of these events present a chance for opportunistic bugs to bounce from other people to our little girl. Transitionally we go camping over the new year. But that has to be cancelled because of the risk of Ellie getting sick if she's exposed to the night air. 

And from a much more selfish point of view, it kind of screws me over. I enrolled in a summer session at university, thinking that we would have a bit of a break from surgery. Now I'll be in hospital with Ellie right in the middle of the study period. That'll teach me for planning too far ahead!

Theres the financial burden too. I've talked about it before - free healthcare is still expensive. So far this palate repair has cost us over $1500. And it's not even done yet. Each time we go to Hobart and get cancelled we deplete our miserly savings, and have to start again. 

So now I'm crossing everything and wishing on stars, just hoping that I can keep her healthy this time and finally clear this hurdle! 


No comments:

Post a Comment