Sunday 5 January 2014

6/01/14 - No surgery for Ellie

This morning I calls doctor Kimble's office to find out what will happen with Ellie's surgery. I really didn't want to make the call. One one hand, I desperately want her surgery to go ahead, so that we can get it over and done with and move on. But on the other hand, I also desperately ENT want them pushing her through if there's a chance she might not be alright. Catch 22: nothing doctor Kimble could say was going to make me happy.

My called was answered by his lovely receptionist, who was less than surprised when I said I'd tried to call the hospital but couldn't get through to anyone there. She said she would wave Ellie's file under doctor Kimble's nose as soon  as he got in, and he would call me back.

I was expecting to spend the day anxiously waiting for a phone call, but instead I was talking to doctor Kimble within 10 minutes. He agreed with me that the surgery needed to be cancelled this time. He can't operate on her when she has a staph infection, and her reaction last time means that he's just not prepared to touch her if she's not 100% healthy. He said he would call next week and see how things were going, and then we would make a plan then.

Even though I knew it was going to happen, and I'd been hoping for it after all, I was still deflated. We wouldn't have to make the trip to Hobart unnecessarily this time, but we had still rearranged out entire summer for nothing, and now we would have to do the same again.

Today was one of those days where I spent a lot of time selfishly feeling sorry for myself. 


No comments:

Post a Comment