Sunday 15 September 2013

16/09/13 - The Final Check Up

Today we took Ellie to the child health clinic for a check up. I wanted to get an idea of her weight before we go in to surgery, so we know how much she loses afterward. Last time she did surprisingly well and still managed to put on weight, but I'm expecting this one to hit her a lot harder.

We are incredibly lucky with Ellie, in that she has never really had any feeding issues. Once she got the hang of the Haberman bottles she was off, and she never really looked back. There were a few times when she would get sores in her mouth and wouldn't want to take the bottle, but we've never had the trouble getting her to gain weight like a lot of cleft babies experience. 

For me it's reassuring to know that she has a bit of extra weight behind her going in to this operation. Even if she does lose a bit she will still be healthy, and that means she can get on with the business of recovering. Today she is a plump 9.5kg. 

I also took the chance to talk to our nurse about the ridiculous paediatrician who called Ellie obese. I explained what he'd recommended and that I'd ignored him, and she agreed with me totally. She said that because Ellie had always been tracking along the same line on the growth chart, because she was still within the normal lines, and most importantly because she has major surgery coming up, there was absolutely no problem with her weight. I know by now that I did the right thing on that one, but it's always good to get the reassurance of a professional.

The funny thing is, when Sophie was a baby we got stuck with a really stupid child health nurse. She was an idiot. She disagreed with everything we did, she ignored Drew at every appointment, and she accused me of neglecting Sophie and causing her to be hospitalised when she got pneumonia. I was determined that I would never take another baby of mine to the child health clinic ever again. But we have been very lucky with Ellie to get fantastic nurses who all seen to know what they are doing, and all support us one hundred percent.

So that's it. We are all set to leave on Sunday. And I still feel calm. I just have the feeling that everything will be ok this time. I hope I'm right! 


No comments:

Post a Comment