Wednesday 18 September 2013

18/09/13 - The Packing

I'm sure I touched on this last time we headed south for surgery, but the trip involves a whole lot more than just jumping in the car and driving for four hours. Even though we are lucky enough to get a room at Ronald McDonald House - who provide beds, kitchens, bathrooms - we still need to take a mountain of stuff with us.

For example: Ellie needs a portacot for the nights she will spend at the house. With a portacot comes baby bedding, sheets, blankets, pillows. Then there's the bottles, sterilising equipment, syringes, medications, formula, feeding gear, the pram.

The four of us need enough clothes to last the trip. Yes, there are washing machines, but we don't want to be worrying about the washing every day. So we each need at least five changes of clothes. Make that 10 for Ellie. That's a suitcase and three backpacks worth of clothes. Shoes. Toiletries. Nappies. Wipes. 

Sophie loves the toys and books at the house, but she also needs her own creature comforts to make her comfortable over a long stay. So we need to take her "mankly," her gruffalo, the portable DVD player, DVDs, colouring books. We need mobile devices, cameras, chargers, pens and paper. 

My list of things to pack in our regular-sized car is four A4 pages long. 

And while I'm worrying over whether we will forget anything, I'm also trying not to stress about the finances. Drew will only get paid for two days out of the at least 10 that we'll be away. Just because we won't be home doesn't mean we don't have to pay the rent, the power, the phone bill. I've done my best to get in front on everything, but it's still going to be tight. We need to buy food and pay for parking, and Sophie needs to do something other than sit at the hospital the whole time.

I don't remember being this stressed about all of these things last time. Maybe I was too busy worrying about the actual surgery, where as this time I'm not over thinking that part. Maybe I simply can't NOT worry about at least one thing! 

Three more days until we leave. I just hope I go back to feeling calm once we arrive and unpack! 


No comments:

Post a Comment