Monday 23 September 2013

22/09/13 - Hobart Bound!

I knew things didn't look good for Ellie's surgery when I woke up this morning with a tight chest and a burning nose. As the morning went on I felt sicker and sicker, and eventually I resigned myself to the fact that I was probably coming down with the dreaded flu. Great. How was I supposed to sit in the hospital with Ellie with all of these nasty germs coming off me? There is no way I would be allowed in.

The morning got progressively worse, with Ellie waking up with a cough and rattle as well. I know that they won't operate on a child who is having any sort of signs of infection, particularly in the lungs. It's just too risky to anethitise them when their lungs are already struggling to cope. 

So as we piled ourselves in the car to head to Hobart, we knew that we would most likely be coming home the next day. But there was nothing we could do on a Sunday morning. If it had been a week day I would have called the hospital and most likely been told to stay where we were.

The trip down was uneventful. Both girls were so well behaved in the car. Four hours is a long time to sit in one place, but neither of them complained. I guess they're probably getting used to the trip by now! I made sure to pack plenty of snacks for them both, and Sophie was using my iPad to take photos off all of the farm animals she saw along the way.

By the time we arrived at the motel I was feeling pretty dead. Drew unloaded the car and settled the girls in and we put Ellie down for a nap. Sophie played and did some colouring in while I lay on the bed and tried to catch my breath. I felt terrible. I can't remember being this sick in a long time actually. My whole body was aching, even the soles of my feet, and I was shivering with a fever that I couldn't get down.

By 7.30 I was asleep, leaving poor Drew to get everything organised for the next day. At this point I was actually hoping that the surgery would get cancelled. 


No comments:

Post a Comment