Thursday 11 April 2013

03/04/13 - Fitted for Arm Splints, This is Getting Real

So that Ellie doesn't pull at her stitches and hurt herself, she needs to wear arm splints after her surgery. I think she needs to keep them on for about three weeks.

The hospital doesn't supply them for some silly reason, so its up to the parents to source them in time for surgery. This is one reason I was really happy to get so much notice for the surgery date. I didn't want to order them too soon in case she grew too much, and I didn't want to order them too late and not have them arrive in time.

Luckily, Cleftpals Queensland can get them for us at a pretty good price. All I had to do was measure her little arms and send the measurements off, and then Wendy could sort them out and stick them in the post.

Ellie hated having me holding her arm out straight to measure it. She is going to really hate having to wear then for so long! Hopefully I can take them off when she's sleeping and just double wrap her in her velcro swaddle wraps.

Measuring her up made me realise this was really happening. In just a few weeks she would be coming out of surgery wearing these things, and that would be the norm for a while. I wish she didn't have to go through all of this pain. I wish there was a way to wave a magic wand and fix her that way.


No comments:

Post a Comment