Tuesday 16 April 2013

17/04/13 - Change is Coming

The true implications of this first surgery didn't really hit me until last night. Until then I'd just been thinking about surgical complications, pain, recovery. But this is going to change Ellie's life. It means a life free of judgement based soley on looks.

There was an episode of Grey's Anatomy last year where Avery was suposed to do a solo surgery on a baby with a cleft lip. Arizona talked him into handing it over to Sloane, telling him that the outcome of the surgery would define the rest of that child's life. I found it really moving at the time (alright, I balled my eyes out) but now it makes so much sense. The quality of Doctor Kimble's work on Monday WILL shape Ellie's future.

When we found out about the cleft one of my biggest concerns was the reaction of other people. I'm a protective mama bear, I don't want anyone staring at my girls or saying nasty things. It started almost immediately, with a horrid (now excommunicated) family member giving his two cents worth on children like ours destroying the world.

In reality though, since we came home there has been very few moments when my bear instincts have come out, and I'm impressed and grateful most of the time. It's mostly children who don't know any better and are just genuinely facinated, but there has also been adults who know better, and that's when I really get mad.

I supose my reaction is more a reflection on myself though. Ellie doesn't care if people stare or say something rude. But it makes my blood boil, I have such a strong desire to protect her from this.

So this surgery puts an end to all of those stares. With her lip repaired no one will know she's different at a glance, and she will be spared from all of that as she grows old enough to understand. Sure, she'll still have scars, but that's OK. That's the proof that she's 100 times more special than any of the idiots that choose to define a person by their appearance. Because she will rock those scars like a supermodel.


No comments:

Post a Comment