Friday 12 April 2013

12/04/13 - Blood Results Come Back Great

Before Doctor Funk could give the go ahead for Ellie's first surgery, we needed to check her haemaglobin levels. Operating with her levels would be too risky as there would be a much higher risk of blood preasure problems or bleeding out in surgery.

It was just a simple heel-prick test, but I still made Drew take her in. I hate seeing my girls in any sort of pain, so I always try to get out of it when I can. He said she did really well though and stopped screaming as soon as they let go of her foot. I supose she should get used to that - they'll be prodding her like crazy in Hobart.

Today I called Doctor Funk for the results. Here are some interesting numbers: A healthy child has a haemaglobin level somewhere between 111 and 160. Ellie's was 28 at birth. Neonatal death occurs with faetomaternal haemorrages when the levels are below 50. The blood transfusion that saved her life brought her levels back up to 96, but she still needed an iron suppliment to help increase it.

The results of the recent test? 101. Not perfect, she's still classed as anemic, but good enough to go ahead with the surgery, and a much bigger improvement than her tiny number at birth.

That was the last thing we needed to do before surgery. Just around the corner is her first operation, and I think i'm finally OK with that. We'll see.


No comments:

Post a Comment