Monday 1 April 2013

21/03/13 - We Have a Date For Surgery!

At the begining of March I started stalking the postie, waiting for Ellie's surgery date to arrive in the mail. We'd been told that it would be mid-April, and I was hoping to get plenty of notice so that Drew could organise his time off work.

So I was a little bit surprised when I got a phone call from Hobart. The date had been set. 22nd of April. They were calling to let us know, and also to find out what we wanted to do about pre-op. We could either go down the week before for a day, or the Friday before the surgery and just add the weekend to our stay. I decided on the Friday to minimise our travel.

By going on the Friday we could also spend the weekend doing fun things with Sophie, so she didn't have to spend the whole trip at the hospital. She thinks she's going on a holiday to the "clown house", and was bouncing around like crazy when we told her. She even started packing her bags!

With the date all set, it was suddenly very real. Ellie was going to have surgery, and I was going to have to go back to that hospital. I was still having flashbacks and nightmares, and I was very nervous about how I would go walking back through the doors.

I wanted to cry after I got off the phone. The time had just gone too fast for me, I hadn't processed anything and now I was expected to take the second step and I was completely unprepared. That's when I decided to start this blog - as a way of dealing with those first few scary days, and to keep dealing with everything else as it comes along.

We had four weeks to organise ourselves. I started making lists of all the things we needed to do and to pack, and that helped calm me down. It also made me realise how much stuff we need to pack in our little car to go away for 10 days!


No comments:

Post a Comment