Saturday 27 April 2013

26/04/13 - Home, Sweet Home.

Ellie slept through the night, and we all woke up together at 7am. I was grateful for the full nights sleep after a rough night at the hospital the night before. Feeding with the syringe was still a long and noisy process, so I was also glad that Drew and Soph were already awake before I started too!

Once Ellie was fed we went downstairs for breakfast, and Sophie said goodbye to her new friend. It worked out quite nicely as he was going away for the day so we wouldn't have to face a big sad goodbye when we left. I'm really glad that she had a friend her own age to play with while we were there, I'm sure it made the sitting around much easier for her.

When Ellie started to grizzle I took her back up to our room and settled her in to bed. Once she was asleep I got to work packing all of our stuff. We wanted to leave after her next feed so that we could get as far as we could before we had to stop again for another feed. The packing took longer than I thought though, and it was an hour and a half after her feed before we were all loaded in to the car.

We made it as far as Oatlands, and stopped at the playground. Drew took Sophie to play on the equipment, and I stood at the back of the car and fed Ellie in her car seat. It was actually a lot easier to feed her in the seat rather than in my arms. In my arms she would wriggle and squirm, and it was hard to hold her and the syringe, and to refill. But the car seat freed up my hands and the feed was so much easier for both of us.

The rest of the drive was carefree. Sophie fell asleep and Ellie slept most of the way. We called in to mum's on the way so that her and dad could see Ellie. Nan was there too, and everyone was just as impressed as we were. 

Travelling that distance always wears me out, and after being away for so long I was so happy to finally get home that night. There was so much to unpack though, and it turned in to yet another long and tiring night. But the important thing was we were home, where we belonged.

No comments:

Post a Comment